The surviving buildings of Richmond Barracks are robust, military buildings which were converted to school use in 1929. By 2015, they were idle, in need of repair and their immediate setting had become degraded. Some features such as the verandahs and the landmark octagonal lantern (Cupola) had been removed.
Our design approach was to achieve a transformation of the buildings and their setting while retaining all authentic elements and original fabric. Any new work is contemporary and minimalist in character. The octagonal lantern is being reinstated, based on the sound evidence of the historic drawing and photograph, and will serve as a landmark and a symbol of this historic place as it looks to the future.
View larger versions of above images in our Gallery